StarOfService is a worldwide Marketplace for Services. Our product is adopted in 140+ countries worldwide. Our ambition is to build the largest marketplace for services in the world. We know we can only achieve it by providing the best User Experience, delivered through the best Product and the best Technology.
We are looking for a Backend Tech Lead PHP/Symfony, Python
- This will be a full-time and long-term remote contract,
- Ready to jump in the mission ASAP, and take the leadership of the Backend department.
You will be focused on project success, Team sustainability and growth. The main focus will be on developing and maintaining our Backend stack while making our APIs evolve at a high level of quality and efficiency. They will participate in communication with other teams and departments, contributing to and taking decisions regarding software testing strategies and approaches.
- Leading, mentoring and growing the backend development team,
- Conception and design of Backend technical solutions and new features,
- Manage the Backend/Product Technical Roadmap to minimize technical debt,
- Collaborate with the CTO, Architects, Product and Engineering Managers,
- Lead initiatives to improve our company-wide engineering culture and discover ways to multiply the effectiveness of the team and the organisation,
- Participate in recruiting the best possible engineers for growing the Backend team.
- Significant engineering experience in Backend development, including PHP / Symfony, Python, and NodeJS,
- Strong knowledge in API Architecture and Design (REST/GraphQL),
- Excellent knowledge of Database Modeling and DBMS in general,
- Experience of modern engineering best practices: clean code, TDD, refactoring, etc., supported by strong research skills and capacity to innovate,
- Capable of Leading by example, promoting a can-do/positive attitude among team members,
- Full professional proficiency in English.
You will be working mostly with PHP (in Symfony) and MySQL, but there will be many opportunities to work on other technologies. As we are transitioning to a microservices-oriented architecture, our technology stack has become quite varied:
- Databases: MySQL (mostly), PostgreSQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis,
- Microservices: Kubernetes, Docker,
- Cloud: our entire stack is stored on AWS, you will use S3, SQS, SNS, etc,
- APIs: JSONAPI (REST), GraphQL,
- GIT: we use both Gitlab and Github, with code reviews on every pull request,
- TDD (PHPUnit),
- Other tools: Jenkins, Slack, Basecamp, JIRA, Confluence, Postman.
Here are some of the activities we had recently with the Team, to give you a good idea:
- 360° feedback sessions with each team member and plan long-term goals for them,
- Encourage team members to participate in conferences and share knowledge with others,
- Taking actions for reducing technical debt, based on the feedback from the team,
- Conduct weekly calls with the team to do a regular check-in on their mood,
- Conduct a monthly call with individual members to follow their results and support their growth.
What do we look for within you?
You’ll be leading a team of back-end developers. You will strive if you are someone who likes to lead teams, mentor them, and help them grow and stay motivated.
- Do regular check-ins with your team and provide them feedback,
- Be a servant-leader: ensure that the team is motivated and satisfied,
- An eye for identifying the new talent addition or replacement in the team,
- Be a catalyst in mentoring the team: help them with plans tailored for each member,
- Anticipate and initiate projects to keep the backend stack stable,
- Collaborate with leads from other departments like Data, Infrastructure, Product, Front-end, and QA,
- Ability to catch the opportunities for improvement in the processes and collaboration,
- Eager and vigilant attitude overall.
Terms of the offer and advantages
StarOfservice recruits the best engineers, product designers and builders, and offers the best conditions for making people enjoy their work, and deliver effectively.
Paid vacations and sick leaves
By joining us, you will access 25 days of paid vacation/year, and paid sick leaves.
Trial period validation bonus
After 3 months at the company, you will receive an exceptional $1000 bonus as a recognition of your trial period validation.
Education and growth
Shipping value is not enough, and we know growing is a part of what every company should offer. For our people — and for the company — we offer the condition for growing:
- By setting every year personalized Personal Development Plans with every employee,
- By proposing a training budget for supporting every employee growth.
Application & Selection Process
You can contact me — Olga — Human Resource Manager at StarOfService, through:
Our recruitment process is simple:
- Human Resource interview with StarOfService HR Manager,
- Technical Interview with our Technology Architect,
- Final Interview with StarOfService CTO/CPO,
- “Meet the team” interview.
More about StarOfService
StarOfService has been funded by famous VCs (Point Nine Capital, Kima Ventures, etc.) from all around the world. The company is also part of TheFamily, the most notorious European Start-Up network.
StarOfService also has world class advisors, among which:
- Frédéric Mazzella, founder of BlaBlaCar,
- Klaus Nyengaard, former CEO of JustEat,
- Oleg Tscheltzoff, former CEO of Fotolia.
You can also Find below what the press is saying about StarOfService: