As the Engineering Manager in PitchBook’s team, you will be responsible for providing software delivery capabilities by building and growing software engineering teams, supporting them during changes, enabling talents and forming productive relationships with the entire organization. You will utilize your extensive background for working with talented engineers and insightful product managers to build exceptional solutions relied upon by thousands of PitchBook customers (many of them have big names, and the team is proud to work for their needs). Also, this is an outstanding opportunity to work with strong professionals during a deep transformation phase bringing successful product solutions and organizational structure to the new level of maturity and scalability to match the highest grade of modern software development company and billion dollar scale. Your ability to collaborate with colleagues, providing a strong leadership momentum in a matrix-style structure, leveling up engineers and their leads, and forming efficient trustful relationships with the stakeholders across the offices will be critical to your success. You will solicit feedback, engage others with empathy, and help create a culture of belonging, teamwork, and purpose. If you love growing strong teams, build customer-centric solutions, can drive and embrace changes, strive for excellence every day, are adaptable and focused, and believe work should be fun, come join us!
About project: PitchBook — a platform for investment professionals with comprehensive functionality which can help to make the right decision. Our software provides access to data and analytical tools to get answers fast and discover promising opportunities. Uncovers actionable insights and trends hidden within the financial data of more than three million companies. Worldwide usage includes large corporations, start-ups, venture capital and private equity firms, investment banks, and many others. Features of PitchBook: Advanced search / Discovery & insights / Company profiles / Workflow & efficiency / Many more
- Manage and grow several self-organized and successful engineering teams with their leads within a business unit or product area
- Cultivate the highest proficiency level by providing exceptional guidance to the team leaders, sharing experience, establishing a culture of constant learning, finding growth points and mutual opportunities within own teams and entire organization
- Participate and supervise conversations on key technical decisions, delivery expectations, people allocation, collaboration with product managers and external stakeholders; involve deeper into team’s work and provide assistance to customers when necessary.
- Represent entire development direction at strategic (VP) level: plans, results, metrics, capabilities; absorb expectations, needs when communicating with senior stakeholders and convert it into actions
- Coach team on adapting best working practices for software delivery, providing proper and contextual estimates within a reasonable time frame, facilitating relationship with product team, giving the feedback to the stakeholders, etc
- Ensure teams have clear and right purpose and priorities, same as resources to follow them, along with maintaining excellence: fixing technical debt, doing improvements and providing innovations
- Facilitate a culture of care, mutual trust, help, transparency, open-mindedness, giving and accepting constructive feedback
- Keep high morale and motivation within teams even during complicated situations
- Balance between business, team and individual needs by building win-win options when necessary
- Systematically support and recognize team’s success, assist them in understanding, accepting and learning from fails
- Manage staffing: hire new team members according to company values, culture code, budget but keeping the highest professional bar possible; make hard decisions when “no go” cases happen.
- Monitor and maintain performance, receive and process feedback on the team holistically and at the personal level
- Perform performance assessment and honest compensation review for the team members proactively
- Maturity to understand the role and conscious switch from individual achievements mindset to the success on the scale
- 5+ years of experience in software development, primarily with Java stack
- 2+ years of experience in managing teams (or big team, 15+) in modern software development company with focus on result and efficiency
- Understanding typical modern software development process, frameworks, their trade-offs and experience with establishing some of them in practice
- Understanding of modern software engineering technologies and their major pros/cons for resolving actual/typical problems
- Understanding and active support of DevOps culture
- Humanity, empathy which are aligned with performance, business acumen, cost analysis, setting clear expectations and giving constructive feedback
- Be open-minded and capable to learn from the experience as well as courage of making decisions which lead to desired future state
- Excellent communication skills in English and native language, written and verbal. You can explain your idea to any engineer or manager and perceive valuable feedback
Would be a plus
- Experience in leading development of complex, distributed software systems requiring deep domain or technical expertise
- Experience with Agile, or any stream valued framework transformation
- Has built successful software development teams from the ground
- Experience with metric based team management: motivation, performance and time analysis, etc
Stack: — Java 11/17 — Spring Boot — PostgreSQL — Kafka — Junit — , k8s — CI/CD — Jira, Confluence
Team: SDEL, 3 SDE BE, 3SDE FE, 3QA, PO/BA
Methodology: Agile, Scrum
- Medical Insurance yearly budget to obtain insurance plan in Ukraine / financial reimbursement of expenses on medical services outside Ukraine;
- 20 business days of paid vacation, unlimited sick leave, 4 days of emergency leave.
- Sports program: 50% reimbursement for gym, sports events and equipment, massage services within budget limit.
- Wellbeing program: individual consultations with professional psychologists, psychiatrists, and coaches.
- Budget for personal learnings, conferences, certifications, courses, subscriptions etc. and language classes (Ukrainian, English).
- Family events presents and financial help in emergency cases.
Does this sound like the kind of place you want to work at? We look forward to hearing ’hi’ from you :)