As the Engineering Manager in PitchBook’s team, you will be responsible for providing software delivery capabilities by building and growing software engineering teams, supporting them during changes, enabling talents, and forming productive relationships with the entire organization.
You will utilize your extensive background for working with talented engineers and insightful product managers to build exceptional solutions relied upon by thousands of PitchBook customers (many of them have big names, and the team is proud to work for their needs).
Also, this is an outstanding opportunity to work with strong professionals during a deep transformation phase bringing successful product solutions and organizational structure to the new level of maturity and scalability to match the highest grade of the modern software development company and billion-dollar scale.
Your ability to collaborate with colleagues, providing a strong leadership momentum in a matrix-style structure, leveling up engineers and their leads, and forming efficient trustful relationships with the stakeholders across the offices will be critical to your success. You will solicit feedback, engage others with empathy, and help create a culture of belonging, teamwork, and purpose.
If you love growing strong teams, build customer-centric solutions, can drive and embrace changes, strive for excellence every day, are adaptable and focused, and believe work should be fun, come join us!
- Manage and grow several self-organized and successful engineering teams with their leads within a business unit or product area.
- Cultivate the highest proficiency level by providing exceptional guidance to the team leaders, sharing experience, establishing a culture of constant learning, finding growth points and mutual opportunities within own teams and the entire organization.
- Participate and supervise conversations on key technical decisions, delivery expectations, people allocation, collaboration with product managers and external stakeholders; involve deeper into team’s work and provide assistance to customers when necessary.
- Represent entire development direction at strategic (VP) level: plans, results, metrics, capabilities; absorb expectations, needs when communicating with senior stakeholders and convert them into actions.
- Coach team on adapting best working practices for software delivery, providing proper and contextual estimates within a reasonable time frame, facilitating a relationship with the product team, giving feedback to the stakeholders, etc.
- Ensure teams have clear and right priorities, same as resources to follow them, along with maintaining excellence: fixing the technical debt, doing improvements, and providing innovations.
- Facilitate a culture of care, mutual trust, help, transparency, open-mindedness, giving and accepting constructive feedback.
- Keep high morale and motivation within teams even during complicated situations
- A balance between business, team, and individual needs by building win-win options when necessary.
- Systematically support and recognize team’s success, assist them in understanding, accepting, and learning from fails.
- Manage staff: hire new team members according to company values, culture code, budget but keeping the highest professional bar possible; make hard decisions when “no go” cases happen.
- Monitor and maintain performance, receive and process feedback on the team holistically and at the personal level.
- Perform performance assessment and honest compensation review for the team members proactively.
- Maturity to understand the role and conscious switch from individual achievements mindset to the success on the scale.
- 5+ years of experience in software development, primarily with Java stack.
- 2+ years of experience in managing teams (or big team, 15+) in modern software development company with a focus on result and efficiency.
- Understanding typical modern software development processes, frameworks, their trade-offs, and experience with establishing some of them in practice.
- Understanding of modern software engineering technologies and their major pros/cons for resolving actual/typical problems.
- Understanding and active support of DevOps culture.
- Humanity, empathy which is aligned with performance, business acumen, cost analysis, setting clear expectations, and giving constructive feedback.
- Be open-minded and capable to learn from the experience as well as courageous of making decisions that lead to desired future state.
- Excellent communication skills in English and native language, written and verbal. You can explain your idea to any engineer or manager and perceive valuable feedback.
Would be a plus
- Experience in leading the development of complex, distributed software systems requiring deep domain or technical expertise.
- Experience with successful Agile or any stream valued framework transformation.
- Has built successful software development teams from the ground.
- Experience with metric-based team management: motivation, performance and time analysis, etc.
- A competitive reward for your skills, experience, input, and results.
- Abilities to visit conferences, master classes, pass certifications.
- Full compensation package.
- Regular team events and activities.