Piano is a fast-growing enterprise SaaS company with operations in Philadelphia, New York City, Kyiv, Amsterdam, London, Oslo, Paris, Berlin, Singapore, Tokyo, and elsewhere globally. We provide enterprise software and strategic services to the world’s leading media companies and brands, including NBC Universal, the Economist, Wall Street Journal, BBC, Techcrunch, Bloomberg, Crédit Agricole, Deutsche Telekom, and more than 1000 other clients. Our software and services enable these companies to create customized digital experiences for users, restrict and sell access to content online, and analyze user behavior in order to drive engagement, loyalty, and revenue.
We’re looking for an experienced Lead Creative technologist — someone who is a design-driven developer with management or mentoring experience to join our new data visualization team. The creative technologist lead will co-lead a team of fellow developers, designers, and other product team members to conceive, prototype, animate, and ultimately develop the cutting edge data-driven visualizations and user experiences that will dramatically affect the future of our product ecosystem. These innovative data visualizations will harness the power of our incredibly expansive datasets and will be powered by WebGL and modern 3D frameworks — containing next-generation interface paradigms, immersive user experiences, cinematic animations, and rich interactivity. Any candidate must have a portfolio and proven track record in working within creative multi-disciplinary teams to launch immersive, innovative, avant-garde, animation-rich, and interactive experiences that tell stories and provide insights based on a variety of data.
What you’ll do:
- You will programmatically design and build innovative data visualizations and immersive data-driven user experiences.
- You will participate in user research and user testing, question preconceived ideas about user needs, and anticipate unforeseen and entirely new uses for data.
- You will study the data and the information it reveals from a user perspective.
- You will develop prototypes that provide visual and interactive ways of making data usable and interesting.
- You will collaborate with designers, product managers, strategists, business analysts, and data scientists.
- You will create stunning 3D and 2D animation-rich interfaces that empower users to understand and interact with data.
- You will be able to clearly and patiently explain your work, defend your decisions, and use constructive criticism to help improve your work.
- You will produce style guides to help facilitate the implementation of our interfaces.
- You will build and maintain flexible and consistent design systems and component libraries.
- You will set the benchmark for excellence and consistency with our visual identity and help it to evolve.
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of data visualization.
- Experience in creating rich animations, transitions, and implementing motion-centric design.
- Experience with data visualization libraries and related technologies, such as: D3.js, Processing, Three.JS, Unreal/Unity, and WebGL programming.
- Experience in adapting Figma/Sketch designs and Adobe Creative Suite assets.
- Experience managing at least one other creative technologist or front-end developer.
- Experience collaborating closely with designers.
- Can build fast iterative prototypes as well as co-develop production-ready experiences.
Our ideal candidate will:
- serve as a design collaborator and as a key stakeholder in the design process.
- have an extreme passion for pushing the envelope in this medium.
- have an affinity for branding, typography, and classic design principles.
- display motivation, ambition, a portfolio mindset, and enthusiasm to win awards.
- be continually informed on technology, web, and design trends.
- express excited to explore new and emerging web technologies.
- be comfortable reading, interpreting, understanding, and manipulating data.