Piano is one of the world’s leading design-driven enterprise-grade SaaS companies with operations in Kiev, Philadelphia, New York City, London, Amsterdam, Bratislava and other cities around the globe. We provide a digital business platform for the world’s biggest media companies, including NBC Universal, the Economist, Condé Nast, Techcrunch, Bloomberg, and Hearst.
We’re looking for a designer to join our newest data visualization team. Your role will be conceptualizing, designing, prototyping, and helping deliver world-class data visualizations that live within our product ecosystem. These innovative data visualizations will harness the power of our incredibly expansive datasets, and will be powered by WebGL and modern 3D frameworks — containing next-generation interface paradigms, immersive user experiences, cinematic animations, and rich interactivity.
At Piano, we believe that our product experience is the brand experience — to that end, our designers are key stakeholders of not only our product experience, but also our brand identity and international market appeal.
What you’ll do
- Evolve the brand — Continually drive forward the holistic identity, sophistication, character, and recurring patterns of our brand and our overall design system.
- Collaborate by design — Set the standard of excellence in design and maintain it throughout every phase of a project. Collaborate closely with fellow designers and other product creatives by utilizing the latest technologies and software. Work closely with other disciplinary leads to ensure the integrity and solidarity of design implementation.
- Understand the space — Work with product managers to understand and translate challenging data-driven storytelling opportunities into incredibly sophisticated data visualizations.
- Set the vision — Discover, conceptualize, and fully form the complete design vision for features, visualizations, and reports and guide them through to actualization.
- Innovate always — Continually push the envelope by seeking radically new ways of solving problems both new and old, familiar and unfamiliar.
- Design systematically — Leverage, evolve, and contribute to the core components, styles, elements, visual assets and tools that make up our design system.
The ideal candidate
- Has a proven track record in designing high-class, cutting edge digital products and experiences.
- Has at least 1-2 years of design experience in analytics, reporting, or data visualization projects.
- Experienced in at least one of the following: Figma, Sketch, Photoshop/Illustrator, Cinema 4D, Blender, Unreal/Unity, D3.js.
- Can intuitively weave new technologies, emerging design and interaction trends, and timeless design principles together.
- Knows the rules, but knows when and how to use them, bend, break, or rewrite them entirely in the pursuit of new and innovative solutions.
- Has an eye and an intuition for what “feels right” in the absence of objectivity.
- Has either an interest or a talent in ancillary skillsets: 3D, motion graphics, programming, prototyping, or generative/procedural design.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Can simultaneously think about the big picture and all of the little details.
- Can present, articulate, defend, and critique your ideas, concepts, and solutions — as well as those of your team.