As one of the world leaders in the cybersecurity space, OpenVPN is looking for a senior systems and software engineer with a strong working knowledge of Python, JSON and REST APIs, databases, TCP/IP networking, and SSL VPNs. The ideal candidate will possess a solid conceptual foundation in the development of client-server software with an emphasis on network routing, load balancing, secure APIs, congestion control, reliability, performance monitoring, and reporting.
The candidate should have 5 or more years of programming experience, preferably on Linux server environments. This position requires heavy network programming skills specifically in the TCP/IP stack. Even more important to your success in this position would be your proactive attitude and the ability to assume responsibility, take ownership and work independently.
• Knowledge of system architecture and deployment (deb and rpm), redundancy and application scaling on Linux servers
• Strong networking experience on Linux
• Strong programming experience on Python 3
• Solid experience in JSON and REST API development on both server and client side
• Experience with RDBMs (MySQL, SQLalchemy)
• Experience with Git and the standard software development cycle
• Knowledge of SSL VPNs, IP routing, iptables, and other dynamic routing protocols
• Knowledge of encryption, PKI and other security concepts
• Knowledge of the following communication protocols: TCP/IP stack (UDP and TCP), sockets, HTTP, HTTPS, and other networking protocols
• At least upper-intermediate level of English, both spoken and written
• Outstanding communication & teamworking skills
• Deep understanding of the Linux network stack and kernel networking modules such as xfilter/netfilter
• Open Source experience
• NoSQL (Cassandra) and key-value store (Redis)
• Experience with Boost, Ember.js, Twisted
We are the team that created OpenVPN, the industry-standard VPN protocol now used by most of the commercial VPN providers worldwide. We are currently looking for a rockstar to push further the product that millions of people around the world will be interacting with on a daily basis!
Our philosophy is that we are a small, closely-knit team and we care deeply about you:
• Competitive salary
• Modern comfortable office space
• Flexible working schedule, partially remote work possible
• Working directly with colleagues from Silicon Valley and around the world
• Team trips, certification and events compensation, medical insurance, sports etc.
• Last but not least, we are really fun to work with!
You will play a key role in a team developing OpenVPN Access Server, our full-featured business VPN solution that accommodates a wide range of configurations, including remote access, site-to-site VPNs, and enterprise-scale remote access solutions with load balancing, failover, and fine-grained access controls. Your responsibilities will include:
• System requirements and specifications
• Development and support of Linux-based server software
• Development of Web UI
• Development of a web-based API (using JSON and REST)
• Collaboration with other developers on development and deployment
If you have ever used a VPN service, chances are it was based on OpenVPN, an open-source protocol that we first developed over 16 years ago and that has since become the de-facto industry standard implemented in the majority of commercial VPN software. Millions of companies and individual users worldwide have trusted us to transmit their sensitive data in a secure, encrypted fashion. But this was just the beginning...
We are now developing a whole new range of products aimed to deliver our services in a scalable fashion to tens and even hundreds of millions of customers worldwide. To support this ambitious goal, we have set up an R&D center in Ukraine that will, jointly with our headquarters in the Silicon Valley, be the cornerstone of the future generation of VPN technologies used across the globe. This is the story that we are inviting you to join!