We are looking for a middle Java engineer (based in Kyiv or Lviv) to complement our existing backend team. You should have a strong working knowledge of Java, REST APIs, and databases, be familiar with TCP/IP networking, SSL VPN, and distributed systems, possess a solid conceptual foundation in the development of distributed and cloud-computing systems, and have network programming understanding on Linux development environments.
Required Experience and Knowledge:
• 2+ years of commercial programming experience
• 2+ years of experience with Java
• Experience of developing modern REST services on Spring Framework
• Experience with RDBMS, NoSQL storages (MongoDB, Redis etc.)
• Good understanding of networking
• At least upper-intermediate English, both spoken and written
• Excellent communication abilities
• Experience with messaging in Java (Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc.)
• Experience with deployment on Docker and AWS
• Knowledge of authentication mechanisms such as SAML and OAuth
• Hands-on with plain Java sockets or WebRTC / WebSockets
• Hands-on work experience with Linux platforms
• Experience in the security space, specifically PKI, encryption, x.509 certificates, SSL
• Experience with performance testing (Apache Benchmark, JMeter, Gatling)
• Open Source experience
We are the team that created OpenVPN, the industry-standard VPN protocol now used by most of the commercial VPN providers worldwide. We are currently looking for a rockstar to push further the product that millions of people around the world will be interacting with on a daily basis!
Our philosophy is that we are a small, closely-knit team and we care deeply about you:
• Competitive salary + stock options
• Great new office space
• Flexible working schedule, partially remote work possible
• Working directly with colleagues from Silicon Valley and around the world
• Team trips, certification and events compensation, medical insurance, sports etc.
• Last but not least, we are really fun to work with!
You will join a team that is responsible for the requirement specifications, system specifications, software development and maintenance of the Private Tunnel cloud service (privatetunnel.com) as well as for development of another brand new cloud VPN product.
The responsibilities include:
• Full-cycle development of Linux-based distributed server software, including development from scratch and maintaining existing services
• Development of a web-based API (using JSON and REST) for management of product systems.
• Collaboration with other developers on development and deployment
If you have ever used a VPN service, chances are it was based on OpenVPN, an open-source protocol that we first developed over 16 years ago and that has since become the de-facto industry standard implemented in the majority of commercial VPN software. Millions of companies and individual users worldwide have trusted us to transmit their sensitive data in a secure, encrypted fashion. But this was just the beginning...
We are now developing a whole new range of products aimed to deliver our services in a scalable fashion to tens and even hundreds of millions of customers worldwide. To support this ambitious goal, we have set up an R&D center in Ukraine that will, jointly with our headquarters in the Silicon Valley, be the cornerstone of the future generation of VPN technologies used across the globe. This is the story that we are inviting you to join!