MacPaw is a software company with headquarters in Kyiv, Ukraine, that develops and distributes software for macOS and iOS. At MacPaw, we believe humans and technology can reach their greatest potential together. Today, our products have more than 30 million users worldwide.
MacPaw is proud to be Ukrainian. The support and development of Ukraine are significant parts of the company’s culture. MacPaw gathers open-minded people who support each other and aspire to change the world around us.
Moonlock is MacPaw’s new division that focuses on the cybersecurity needs of Mac users. MacOS is the new frontier for cybercriminals, and we dare you to join us in the fight to protect our users.
“We believe technology shouldn’t make you vulnerable — it should keep you safe. So we make software to help machines protect you.”
As a member of our Malware Lab Team, you’ll play a vital role in creating security threat protection instruments that will protect millions of MacPaw users all over the world. You’ll conduct in-depth research on malware and other emerging threats, as well as brand-new operating systems security mechanisms. You’ll also examine recent virus samples, look for ways to detect malware by its behavior, and outsmart the developers of malicious programs.
About the team
Moonlock is a small team that is spread across seven countries and includes a white-hat hacker and a former cybercrime investigator. Between specialists, they have 47 years of experience in cybersecurity.
You’ll be a part of a Moonlock Lab Team consisting of the Engineering Manager, three engineers, and, of course, yourself. But that’s just the beginning! As our company continues to grow, so will our team.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct extensive research, categorize found malware to assess its complexity, and prioritize it according to criticality levels for further investigation by reverse team
- Analyze existent-on-the-market technical solutions and approaches to deal with malware and security threats and suggest possible adoption
- Conduct extensive research and analysis of current malware trends, families, and companies (APT, FancyBear, etc.) by monitoring and analyzing data from various sources, including malware samples, threat intelligence feeds, forums, and industry reports
- Create quick and simple signatures (HASH, Path, etc.) and update the malware database in order to provide reverse engineers with qualitative and reliable data on related malware
- Research new possible sources of information about malware and security threats to widen and diversify the detection toolkit
- Communicate with the team(-s)/PM/EM to clarify research details and edge cases, specify input or missing data and possible use-cases/flows in order to successfully conduct research and make constructive collaborations if needed
- Prepare materials for malware-related articles by researching various sources and validating information in order to ensure reliable information for internal/external stakeholders
Skills you’ll need to bring:
- Threat intelligence
- Basic reverse engineering skills (Hopper, IDA, etc.)
- SOC or Equivalent Experience
- Experience in creating and maintaining malware signatures (e.g., HASH, Path)
- Willingness to learn
- Strong analytical skills
As a Plus:
- Solid reverse engineering skills
- Threat hunting
- DFIR experience
- Knowledge of macOS internals
- Understanding UNIX Operating System concepts
- Knowledge of any scripting language, preferably Bash or Python
- Understanding of malware TTP (Techniques, Tactics, and Procedures)
- Experience with YARA
What we offer:
- We are a Ukrainian company, and we stand with Ukraine against russian aggression
We maintain workplaces and salaries for the mobilized Macpawians and provide financial support to colleagues or their families affected by the war.
Here you also can read about MacPaw Foundation, which intends to help save the lives of Ukrainian defenders and provide relief to as many civilians as possible.
- Hybrid work model
It’s entirely up to you whether to work remotely or at the hub. If you decide to mix it, our Kyiv headquarters (HQ), which works as a coworking space, is open around the clock. The HQ is supplied with UPS and Starlink for an uninterrupted work process.
We also reimburse the costs of renting a coworking space in any other city.
If you decide to work at home, we cover the costs spent on your workspace organization: portable power stations, power banks, etc.
- Your health always comes first
We cover 100% of your medical insurance costs and 50% for your dependents. We also offer a 50% refund for psychotherapy.
- Flexible working hours
You can choose a schedule that is comfortable for you. No one here tracks your clock in/clock out because MacPaw is built on trust and cooperation.
- Space to grow both professionally and personally
Whatever your dreams and aspirations are, we got you. Education budget, annual development reviews, free English classes, and regular lectures. We also offer personal coaching with organizational coaches.
- Teams we are proud of
We build honest, transparent, and reliable relationships within teams. Every Macpawian can improve processes and implement their ideas. We encourage open and constructive feedback and provide training for Macpawians on giving and receiving feedback.
- HQ designed for people (and pets)
Our headquarters has it all. A spacious workplace with enough room for sitting up, lying down, and running around. A gym for recreation, fitness, and yoga. Cozy kitchens with coffee, snacks, and lunches. Sleeping/meditation rooms. A terrace with a view where we throw summer parties. Also, we have two cats living in the office, and you are welcome to bring your pets to the office (we have separate floors for cats and dogs).
- Time-off policy that covers life’s needs
20 vacation days, unlimited paid sick leaves, xDays (2 days a month to work on side projects), days for personal time-off designed to help you take care of essential matters in your personal life, and parental leaves. On top of all that, sabbaticals are open after 5 years of being with MacPaw.
- Join social initiatives with MacPawCares
MacPaw participates in numerous humanitarian aid and charity projects across many fields, and you are welcome to jump in and spend up to 24 working days per year making the world a better place.