MacPaw is a software company with headquarters in Kyiv, Ukraine, that develops and distributes software for macOS and iOS. At MacPaw, we believe that technology and human can reach their greatest potential together. Today, our products have more than 30 million users worldwide.
MacPaw is proud to be Ukrainian. Support and development of Ukraine is a significant part of the company’s culture. MacPaw gathers open-minded people who support each other and aspire to change the world around us.
Setapp is MacPaw’s subscription-based app service for macOS and iOS. It provides access to 200+ quality apps covering productivity, lifestyle, web development, Mac maintenance, creativity, writing, education, and personal finance.
Setapp’s mission is to give Apple users easy access to stellar apps, so they can focus on doing the job, not looking for the tools.
You will join an existing cross-functional team. We each have our area of expertise, but our contribution to the product’s growth reaches far beyond our typical specialties. With one more mature Back-end Software Engineer, you will influence everything related to payments and subscription processing at Setapp.
You are the right fit for this role if you are responsible and independent, have a passion for creating new solutions, and have a wide range of knowledge in development (not only in your area but also in best engineering practices). We also hope you’ll be a good communicator who likes constructive discussions and can support your opinion with arguments and facts.
If you love what you saw above, are thrilled by complicated tasks, and are ready to bring to life your engineering ideas, make sure to send us your resume!
In this role, you will:
- Analyze (how to do?) and validate (can be done?) technical solutions for business problems/ideas/needs. Suggest alternatives with reasoning about their pros and cons
- Decompose and estimate validated technical solutions for business problems/ideas/needs into technical tasks
- Contribute to the product with ideas, features, and improvements. Suggest technical solutions for increasing product stability and performance if needed
- Develop architectural solutions for the product. Take responsibility for implementing these solutions and their adaptation to product changes in the future, and solve related technical conflicts with the engineering team
- Participate in the integration of new approaches or development processes
- Investigate and analyze fatal issues and critical failures that happened on the product, and share this information with other engineers to avoid the same or related issues in the future
- Communicate with the team and PM to clarify implementation details and edge cases, specify input or missing data and possible use-cases/flows
- Communicate with other streams and/or teams to successfully implement a task and make constructive collaborations if needed
- Present the results of the teamwork if needed
- Help customer support to resolve user issues, conduct technical communication with customers if needed
- Share all knowledge about the project (structure, documentation, architectural details, etc.) with the engineering team
Skills you’ll need to bring:
- Strong knowledge of OOP, Design Patterns, understanding of SOLID principles and their usage
- At least 3 years of development experience with PHP
- Basic understanding of distributed systems and patterns
- Experience with Laravel 8, Doctrine ORM, Symfony
- Experience with one of RDBMS (PostgreSQL as a plus)
- Experience with Linux as an advanced user
- Experience with message queues (RabbitMQ)
- At least an Intermediate level of English
As a Plus:
- Experience with payment system integrations (Stripe, Chargebee, Braintree, Paddle)
- Experience with Python and Tornado
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS), containers (Docker)
What we offer:
- We are a Ukrainian company, and we stand with Ukraine against russian aggression
We maintain workplaces and salaries for the mobilized employees and provide financial support to employees or their families affected by the war. You can read more about it here.
- Hybrid work model
It’s entirely up to you to decide whether you want to work remotely or in the office. However you choose to mix it up, the office is always open in a co-working mode following all health safety measures.
- Your health always comes first
We guarantee Covid-19 insurance starting on your first working day. After you complete your trial period, we cover 100% of the medical insurance cost for you and 50% for your dependents. We also cover dental and massages and offer a 50% refund for psychotherapy.
- Flexible working hours
You can choose working hours comfortable for you. No one here tracks your clock in/clock out because MacPaw is built on trust and cooperation.
- Office designed for people (and pets)
Our office has it all. A spacious workplace with enough room for sitting up, laying down, and running around. A gym for recreation, fitness, and yoga. Cozy kitchens with breakfasts, coffee, and snacks. Sleeping/meditation rooms. A terrace with a view where we throw summer parties. Also, we have two cats living in the office, and you are welcome to bring your pets to the office (we have separate floors for cats and dogs).
- Space to grow both professionally and personally
Whatever your dreams and aspirations are, we got you. Generous education budget, annual development reviews, free English and public speaking classes, and regular tech talks. We also offer personal coaching with organizational coaches.
- Teams we are proud of
We build honest, transparent, and reliable relationships within teams. Every Macpawian can improve processes and implement their ideas. We encourage open and constructive feedback and provide training for Macpawians on giving and receiving feedback.
- Time-off policy that covers life’s needs
20 vacation days, unlimited paid sick leaves, xDays (2 days a month to work on what you are passionate about and it’s not a MacPaw Core Business), personal time day-offs designed to help you take care of essential matters in your personal life, parental leaves. On top of all that, sabbaticals are open after 5 years of being with MacPaw.
- Cafe and fresh daily lunches
There are plenty of yummy options for everybody. But... You *have* to try our ricotta cakes. Seriously. They’re unbelievable.
- Join social initiatives with MacPawCares
MacPaw participates in numerous charity projects across many fields, and you are welcome to jump in and spend up to 3 working days per year making the world a better place.