MacPaw is a software company with headquarters in Kyiv, Ukraine, that develops and distributes software for macOS and iOS. At MacPaw, we believe that technology and human can reach their greatest potential together. Today, our products have more than 30 million users worldwide.
MacPaw is proud to be Ukrainian. Support and development of Ukraine is a significant part of the company’s culture. MacPaw gathers open-minded people who support each other and aspire to change the world around us.
Do you want to create security threat protection instruments that protect millions of MacPaw users all over the world? Then join our Malware Lab Team!
As a member of the Team, with three more mature engineers, you will conduct in-depth research on malware and other emerging threats and technologies, as well as the brand new operating system’s security mechanisms. Examine recent virus samples, look for ways to detect malware by its behavior, and outsmart the developers of malicious programs.
You will be responsible for creating detection content for MacPaw products and act as a trusted security partner to the product teams.
If you love what you saw above, are thrilled by complicated tasks, and are ready to bring your engineering ideas to life — make sure to send us your CV!
In this role you will:
- Research, analyze (how to do it?), and validate (can it be done?) security solutions for product needs by looking for possible existent approaches (reverse engineering, analyzing related data, etc.).
- Analyze data received from users (such as malware samples, their location, etc.) to improve existing security solutions or research new ones.
- Contribute to the product with ideas, features, and improvements.
- Deliver tech documentation that describes research results and ways of implementation if possible.
- Help Customer Support resolve related user issues and conduct technical communication with customers if needed.
Skills you’ll need to bring:
- Malware analysis experience.
- Reverse engineering skills (Hopper, IDA, etc.).
- Experience with YARA.
- Knowledge of any scripting language, preferably Bash or Python.
- Understanding UNIX Operating System concepts: processes, virtual & physical memory, filesystem.
- At least basic knowledge of Assembly language.
- Deriving Indicators of Compromise.
- Experience identifying and analyzing known cryptography algorithms.
- Familiarity with OS virtualization to perform dynamic malware analysis.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Intermediate+ English level.
As a Plus:
- Vulnerabilities research experience.
- Knowledge of macOS internals.
- C/C++ low-level development.
- Understanding of malware TTP (Techniques, Tactics, and Procedures).
- Analysis of the Safari, Google Chrome extensions.
What we offer:
- We are a Ukrainian company, and we stand with Ukraine against russian aggression
We maintain workplaces and salaries for the mobilized employees and provide financial support to employees or their families affected by the war. You can read more about it here.
- Hybrid working model
It’s completely up to you to decide whether you want to work remotely or in the office. However you decide to mix it up, the office is always open in a co-working mode following all health safety measures.
- Your health always comes first
We guarantee Covid-19 insurance starting on your first working day. After you complete your trial period, we cover 100% of the medical insurance cost for you and 50% for your dependents. We also cover dental, massages, and offer a 50% refund for psychotherapy.
- Flexible working hours
You can choose working hours comfortable for you. No one here tracks your clock in/clock out because MacPaw is built on trust and cooperation.
- Office designed for people (and pets)
Our office has it all. A spacious workplace with enough room for sitting up, laying down, and running around. A gym for recreation fitness and yoga. Cozy kitchens with breakfasts, coffee, and snacks. Sleeping/meditation rooms. A terrace with a view where we throw summer parties. Also, we have two cats living in the office, and you are welcome to bring your pets to the office (we have separate floors for cats and dogs).
- Space to grow both professionally and personally
Whatever your dreams and aspirations are, we got you. Generous education budget, annual development reviews, free English and public speaking classes, and regular tech talks. We also offer personal coaching with organizational coaches.
- Teams we are proud of
We build honest, transparent, and reliable relationships within teams. Every Macpawian is able to improve processes and implement their ideas. We encourage honest and constructive feedback and provide training for Macpawians on giving and receiving feedback.
- Time-off policy that actually covers life’s needs
20 vacation days, unlimited paid sick leaves, xDays (2 days a month to work on what you are passionate about and it’s not a MacPaw Core Business), personal time day-offs designed to help you take care of important matters in your personal life, parental leaves. On top of all that, sabbaticals are open after 5 years of being with MacPaw.
- Cafe and fresh daily lunches
There’s plenty of yummy options for everybody. But... You *have* to try our ricotta cakes. Seriously. They’re unbelievable.
- Join social initiatives with MacPawCares
MacPaw participates in numerous charity projects across many fields, and you are welcome to jump in and spend up to 3 working days per year making the world a better place.