Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, and Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs, currently in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a shared workspace in Krakow.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for Back-End Software Engineers to join our engineering teams.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure.
As a Back-End Engineer at Grammarly, you will play a critical role in building core parts of the Grammarly product offering, infrastructure, and features to help 30 million users write more clearly and effectively every day.
Grammarly is growing rapidly. There are opportunities to join a team where you can learn from experienced peers, and opportunities to build product offerings and teams from the ground up. Within our growing engineering organization, there is plenty of room for ownership and direct impact on users.
As a Back-End Engineer, you will:
• Start building and pushing code in your first week and ship impactful features in your first few months.
• Build and support production services with high call rates.
• Target high availability for consumer and enterprise customers.
• Learn how to build infrastructure as code (IaC).
• Collaborate widely with internal teams to deliver delightful product offerings to our customers.
• Contribute to an engineering culture with a strong emphasis on documentation, testing, and user experience.
• Evaluate the systems and technology in place today while proposing systems and architecture that can scale for the future.
• Have the opportunity to mentor new hires.
• Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
• Brings at least three years of experience in back-end development, ideally using Java or other JVM languages.
• Displays excellent software engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
• Demonstrates perseverance when faced with tough technical issues.
• Has some experience with AWS or other cloud offerings (GCP, Azure, etc.).
• Has experience building, deploying, and debugging production systems at scale.
• Cares about the end-user experience and strives to ensure high quality.
We invite you to share your knowledge, experience, and goals with us to help us find the best team match for you. Tell us your superpower!
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.