Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, 30 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
Grammarly’s success depends on the ability to keep user text secure while also using data to improve our product. To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Software Engineer to help us create a world-class management platform for user text data. This is a unique opportunity to experience all aspects of building complex software systems: contributing to the strategy, defining the architecture, and building and shipping to production.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure.
As the Software Engineer on the Data Platform team, you will:
• Use a lot of AWS, write some code, build data pipelines, create brand new systems, and contribute to the existing ones.
• Build a platform for managing all aspects of data lifecycle.
• Work with partners (researchers, ML engineers, and others) across many other engineering teams, building tools for effortless work with the data.
• Influence the big picture: make architectural decisions, research relevant technology, and plan for the future.
• Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
• Has experience with system design and building internal tools; can make a good choice of a third-party service to do what you need or, alternatively, can put together a quick and simple solution on your own.
• Has good knowledge and at least some experience with AWS. (Alternatively, someone who has deep expertise in Azure or GCE and is willing to learn AWS quickly.)
• Has at least some experience with some of the following: Apache Zeppelin, Spark, Python, PySpark, Java, and Scala. (This is not a strict requirement, but we would be impressed!)
• Understands data structures and algorithms at a level sufficient to write performant code when working with large datasets or large incoming data streams.
• Has at least three years of experience managing a live production environment, preferably a high-load system.
• Is a good communicator. We are a very tightly integrated team, and we work together all the time. There is no mine-yours attitude. We expect colleagues to communicate proactively: talk, email, chat, commit messages—you name it.
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.