Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect, whenever and wherever they communicate. More than 20 million people around the world use our AI-powered writing assistant every day. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Applied Research team in Kyiv. You will work with a talented team of research scientists solving hard NLP challenges to power user-facing features at internet scale.
Grammarly’s researchers and engineers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
This role will be instrumental in helping build
The Applied Research team works cross-functionally across multiple offices (Kyiv, New York, and San Francisco) with research scientists, computational linguists, and software engineers to ship delightful user experiences across various interfaces.
As an Engineering Manager, you will:
• Build and manage a team of research scientists in the Grammarly Kyiv office focused on building user-facing functionality.
• Scale and empower the team to achieve a high level of reliability, simplicity, and productivity.
• Mentor research scientists on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
• Be an effective people manager and a strong advocate for the team.
• Foster a metrics-driven approach to model quality for models that the team builds.
• Propose and implement best practices for scaling
• Help drive engineering-wide initiatives with the rest of the engineering management team.
• Bring engineering best practices to research projects and participate in projects at all stages.
• Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
• Has a strong track record of building and managing productive research or engineering teams.
• Has experience leading ambiguous Applied Research projects that ship to users/customers. Has experience working cross-functionally to achieve goals.
• Is able to effectively set and communicate priorities for themselves and their team. Has experience translating high-level strategy/roadmap into an execution plan.
• Can successfully coordinate, empower, and direct multiple stakeholders, details, and timelines toward a specific goal.
• Is deeply technical and also derives satisfaction in helping the team accomplish audacious goals. Has had experience being a hands-on senior engineer at some point in their career.
• Has domain expertise in machine learning or deep learning (expertise in computational linguistics or NLP is a plus).
• Is able to come up with creative and unique ideas. Has a track record of developing new ideas/product features.
• Can effectively make a case for projects, resources, or focus areas for the Applied Research team.
Has a PhD or MS in CS/Engineering/Math (research publications are a plus.)
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. Grammarly is an equal opportunity company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, criminal prosecution, judgment in a criminal case, or any other characteristic protected by law.