Our client, HENCE, is a distributed systems R&D lab that is developing an open-source protocol, network, and incentive layer for interoperable high-performance blockchains. While Globaldev is supporting HENCE with its engineering recruitment efforts, the role being advertised would involve a direct engagement with HENCE.
HENCE has been heads-down for the past year and will be publishing our first technical research papers in the coming months. Joining HENCE at this stage is an opportunity to have an impact while working on some of the most interesting challenges in distributed systems engineering.
Members of HENCE’s Engineering team focus on implementing novel algorithms and mechanisms. Among other challenges, our team is working on: a family of novel consensus algorithms optimized for different application-specific blockchains; novel zero-knowledge-based confidential transfer systems; novel game-theoretic mechanisms for re-balancing incentives across a multi-chain network architecture; and, novel approaches toward blockchain fundamentals (P2P networking, account storage).
All 25 members of the HENCE team have significant autonomy and flexibility, and at present, they are a fully-remote organization.
- 3+ years of programming experience developing backend system software (e.g., distributed systems, operating systems, security, networking, high-performance computing);
- 1+ year of Rust programming experience working on complex systems;
- In-depth familiarity with systems programming languages (Rust, GoLang or C++) and interest in becoming highly proficient in Rust;
- Interest in distributed systems, virtual machines/compilers, P2P networking, and applied cryptography;
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly and an eagerness to acquire new knowledge;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, and aptitude for communicating complex concepts clearly and concisely;
- Ability and willingness to be productive in a remote work environment;
- Result-oriented and driven to take ownership of complex challenges;
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent;
Will be a plus
- In-depth familiarity with the current blockchain landscape and associated technologies;
- Experience implementing consensus algorithms;
- Experience implementing decentralized applications;
- Experience implementing compilers and virtual machines;
- A track record of contributing to open source projects;
- Direct work with HENCE;
- Competitive base salary in accordance with your experience and credentials, plus generous upside incentives, plus a bonus plan tied to milestones;
- Flexible work schedule and opportunity to be part of a fast-growing organisation;
- Opportunity to gain advanced expertise in novel blockchain technologies and associated research before it enters the public domain;
- Opportunity to work alongside high-caliber distributed systems researchers;
- Opportunity to participate in upcoming company-wide retreats in Europe;
- Reporting to the Backend Engineering Team Leader, you will design and implement systems dealing with consensus, P2P networking, rewards mechanism, security, inter-chain communication, as well as other distributed systems aspects;
- You will contribute to the Engineering team’s on-time delivery of high-quality code, and will perform code reviews and unit tests;
- You will add to our engineering process effectiveness by raising your concerns/blockers and suggestions with Technical Project Manager, who will help streamline your workflow;
- You will interact with members of the QA and Product teams, supporting them in executing their responsibilities;
- From time to time, you will help guide our Technical Writer on the creation of clear, concise technical documentation;