• Have at least 5 years of experience with data-centric systems
• Be a “data first, everything else second” engineer. Specifically:
o SQL black belt
o Logical data modeling
o Solid understanding of how databases work, indexing strategies, etc.
o Understanding of data warehousing techniques
• Have experience with PostgreSQL
• Have experience with Amazon Web Services (e.g. Lambda, CloudFormation, SNS, SQS)
• Be competent in programming languages including Python
• Know how RESTful APIs work, and preferably have written/delivered some
• Have a robust, broad understanding of the full stack, i.e.:
o Networking principles (addressing, routing, security, etc.)
o RBAC security models
o Security (SSL, certificates, etc.)
o Unix shell
• Understand the concepts of, and have some experience dealing with:
o Cloud providers of one sort or another
Will be a plus:
• Knowledge of or interest in the rail industry
• Direct cooperation with the customer
• Dedicated HR / Client Manager
• Competitive salary, medical insurance, 20 working vacation days
• Regular corporate events, team buildings, etc.
• Work with the existing team to gain an understanding of our technical and data architecture.
• Contribute to our collaborative design process, taking on internal concept proofs where appropriate.
• Take on agreed specific platform functional enhancements, consulting as frequently as needed:
o Integrate new data sources
o Deliver new API resources for data access
• Share second line support responsibilities for the platform as a whole.
About the client:
AltoData is a small and growing software and services company. We are data-focused, blending mature design disciplines with leading-edge techniques and tooling. We are a strategic partner with a global transport company, one of the largest players in the UK rail industry.
All our people solve business problems. Each of us has areas of greater expertise, but we don’t pigeon-hole people into technical skillsets. Data is paramount, everything else is a means to an end.
About the projects:
Mistral is a pure AWS data integration platform, the main business purpose of which is to provide staff and customers (passengers) with real-time service data. It currently includes:
• carriage loading (how busy each carriage is on a train)
• seat reservations (displayed above seats on new trains)
• live service progress data
• predictive delay impact analysis (using stock and crew allocations)
The list is growing. The platform is already the most sophisticated of its kind in the industry, and its value increases with each new capability.
Mistral’s core is an Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL-compatible cluster, ingesting and providing data through a pure-AWS service architecture. The full stack is:
• Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL 10.7 (v11 upgrade pending)
• AWS Lambda functions (using Python 3.8 exclusively)
• Amazon API Gateway
• Amazon Step Functions
• Amazon ECS containers (for MQ listener, FTP server, etc.)
• Amazon Systems Manager Parameter Store
Denali is a from-scratch migration of a customer data warehouse from Microsoft Azure into the same AWS-based stack as Mistral.
It integrates customer data from several sources and delivers it to downstream consumers to enable revenue analytics and marketing campaigns.