• Have at least 5 years of experience with data-centric systems
• Be a “data first, everything else second” engineer. Specifically:
SQL black belt
Logical data modeling
Solid understanding of how databases work, indexing strategies etc.
Understanding of data warehousing techniques
• Be competent in procedural languages including Python
• Know how RESTful APIs work, and preferably have written/delivered some
• Have a robust, broad understanding of the full stack, i.e.:
Networking principles (addressing, routing, security etc.)
RBAC security models
Security (SSL, certificates etc.)
• Understand the concepts of, and have some experience dealing with:
Cloud providers of one sort or another
Will be a plus:
• AWS exposure, including:
• PostgreSQL expertise
• Knowledge of or interest in the rail industry
• Direct cooperation with the customer
• Dedicated HR/ Client Manager
• Regular performance reviews
• Competitive Salary, medical insurance, 20 working vacation days
• Regular corporate events, team buildings, etc.
• Work with the main developer to gain an understanding of FRODI.
• Help to establish team development processes and tools
• Participate in a period
• Take on agreed specific functional enhancements, consulting as frequently as needed.
• Share second line support responsibilities for the platform as a whole; specifics to be discussed and agreed.
• Help recruit two more people (more junior developers) into Daxx/AltoData.
About the client:
AltoData is a small and growing software and services company. We are data-focused, minus the Data Science/Big Data hype. Our primary client is a global transport company, and one of the largest players in the UK rail industry. We are now a strategic partner for the delivery of mission-critical integration components for new rail fleets and newly acquired train operating companies.
About the project:
FRODI is a pure AWS data integration platform, the main business purpose of which is to provide staff and customers (passengers) with useful real-time, train-related information. It currently includes carriage loading (how busy each carriage is on a train), seat reservations (displayed above seats on new trains), and live service delay data for the operator control centre. The list is growing.
FRODI comprises an Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL-compatible cluster. There is no user application — external interaction is achieved through APIs and other AWS services. The full stack is:
• Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL 10.7
• AWS Lambda functions (using Python 3.7 exclusively)
• Amazon API Gateway
• Amazon Step Functions
• Amazon ECS containers (for MQ listener, FTP server etc.)
• Amazon Systems Manager Parameter Store
The pipeline of additional capabilities, data sources and consumers for FRODI is large and growing. It is currently developed and maintained by one person. To fulfill this pipeline, we need to introduce additional resources.