Ciklum is looking for a Senior Ruby on Rails Developer to join our team full-time in Ukraine.
We are a leading global product engineering and digital services company that unites 4000+ seasoned professionals globally on various projects in healthcare, fintech, travel, sportswear, entertainment, and security. Ciklum delivers high-impact technology solutions to Fortune 500 and fast-growing organizations worldwide.
About the role:
As a Senior Ruby on Rails Developer, become a part of a cross-functional development team working for the Babbel.
As part of our team, we’ll collectively tackle all things engagement: how do we make sure that learners are always challenged, but never overwhelmed? That everyone coming to Babbel feels welcomed? That everyone feels motivated to pick up the app and learn something every single day?
In your role, your mission will be to drive the development of a technical platform that enables seamless and effective operation of the internal Customer Support department at our company (75 members and growing). This is a really cross-functional role as the main goal for your team will be an optimisation of internal processes and a construction of a platform that aggregates and exposes various data streams and features from different Babbel products and knowledge domains. You will be collaborating with a
variety of teams and departments and diving into different disciplines to broaden your knowledge in other fields of expertise as well as share your own. You will contribute to great architecture and build the base of an easily extendable and well maintainable platform.
About the Client:
Babbel is driven by a mission: Everyone. Learning. Languages. This means building products that help people connect and communicate across cultures. Babbel and Babbel for Business focus on using a new language in the real world, in real situations, with real people. And it works: Studies with Yale University, City University of New York and Michigan State University prove that it gets users talking with confidence.
The key is a blend of humanity and technology. A team of linguistic experts hand-craft each of our courses, to provide content that is constantly adapted to our learners’ needs. Interactive content with videos and podcasts makes understanding a new language easy, because Babbel is for everyone. That’s why our team is as diverse as our content. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 65 nationalities represent the backgrounds, characteristics and perspectives that make all humans unique. Making a true connection with millions of paid subscribers across the globe is what makes Babbel the most profitable language learning app worldwide.
Babbel in Numbers:
- The #1 top-grossing language learning app globally
- Millions of active paying subscribers
- More than 60,000 lessons 14 languages hand-crafted by 150+ linguists
- More than 10,000 hours of learning content
- Over 70 learning podcast episodes and over 50 hours of video learning content
- Own architectural design and constantly propose improvements of the existing features
- Deliver value iteratively by building high-quality applications and features
- Build, maintain, and take ownership of a rich ecosystem of applications and services
- Be part of feature teams and build end-to-end customer features
- Ensure that the systems you own are healthy, resilient, and perform well
- Collaborate cross-functionally on feature design, architectural decisions, and assessing technical debt
- Participate in the search for ways to improve and automate corporate processes
- Shape our coding guidelines and quality standards
- React, troubleshoot and solve operational events (bugs and incidents)
- Focus on continuous learning and improvement and drive the evolution of our engineering practices
- A can-do attitude to build MVPs and iterate on them in short cycles
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code, ideally with Terraform
- Excellent knowledge in Computer Science, Computing Theory:
- Paradigm & Principles (OOP, SOLID)
- Database theory (RDBMS, NoSQL)
- Code testing practices
- Architectural, Enterprise and Design Patterns
- Excellent knowledge and experience in Ruby on Rails (more than 5 years)
- Practical commercial experience with:
- REST API development
- Strong sense for good API design and third-party API integrations
- Web application frameworks, Testing frameworks, ORM
- RDBMS (e.g MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience NoSQL databases
- Key-value storages (e.g. Redis, Memcached)
- Experience in using AWS
- Strong understanding of Event-Driven Architecture
- Testing experience on different levels: unit, integration, E2E
- Version control systems (GIT)
- Experience with:
- Troubleshooting, profiling and debugging applications
- Creation software architecture and design of complex applications, platforms
- Agile software processes and technologies
- Code Review process
- Refactoring process
- Fluent or Upper-Intermediate English
- Experience with Payments, Pricing or Customer Support business domains
- Experience with Data-intensive systems
- Knowledge of analyzing metrics about system health and performance (ideally DataDog, CloudWatch, PagerDuty, Rollbar)
What's in it for you ?
- Care: your mental and physical health is our priority. We ensure comprehensive company-paid medical insurance, Mental Health programs, as well as financial and legal consultations
- Tailored education path: boost your skills and knowledge with our regular internal events (meetups, conferences, workshops), Udemy licence, language courses and company-paid certifications
- Growth environment: share your experience and level up your expertise with a community of skilled professionals, locally and globally
- Flexibility: choose how you want to work — a 100% remote or on-sight in our offices. Own your schedule — you are the one to decide when to start your working day. Just don’t miss your regular team stand-up
- Opportunities: we value our specialists and always find the best options for them. Our Internal Mobility Program helps change a project if needed to help you grow, excel professionally and fulfil your potential
- Global impact: work on large-scale projects that redefine industries with international and fast-growing clients
- Welcoming environment: feel empowered with a friendly team, open-door policy, informal atmosphere within the company and regular team-building events
Discover the pros of 20-year global experience! Join one of the largest IT companies in Ukraine, awarded as one of the top 10 employers in Ukraine by Forbes.
Boost your skills and make a difference with cutting-edge projects, skilled colleagues and the latest tech stacks.
Be bold, not bored!
Interested already? We would love to get to know you! Submit your application. We can’t wait to see you at Ciklum.