Who you are:
• You have 7+ years experience in operations with a heavy focus in database operations (MySQL preferably).
• You are an effective communicator capable of working and collaborating with a global team.
• You’re passionate about the quality and integrity of software experiences.
• You have experience in Linux, Networking, Relational and/or Non-Relational Databases.
• You have experience with configuration management tools, like Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, etc.
• You are familiar with infrastructure-as-code tools, be it Terraform, AWS Cloudformation or Google. Deployment manager.
• You have no fear of learning and working with new database systems, both relational and non-relational (some other database technologies we use are PostgreSQL, Redis, and ElasticSearch).
What you have done:
• Achieved a degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
• 7+ years experience operating, performance tuning, and troubleshooting large Linux + MySQL environments.
• Designed and have an understanding of high availability and clustering options for MySQL.
• Developed an understanding of MySQL internals, including the query planner, crash recovery, and the InnoDB/XtraDB storage engine.
• Learned database theory and best practices for query optimization, and index design.
• Worked on tuning and understanding systems performance outside the database (including disk, network, and CPU).
• Used common monitoring tools such as Nagios, New Relic, Graphite, and Prometheus.
• Written automation and tooling in at least one of these languages: Bash, Ruby, or Python.
• Worked with configuration management tools like Puppet or Chef.
• Benchmarked and evaluated the performance of various permutations of hardware, software, and cloud providers benchmarking and performance evaluation of various permutations of hardware and software.
• Enjoy an amazing business culture while working with one of the most exciting global e-commerce companies.
• Benefit from collaborating with a fast-growing team of professionals in a global environment.
• Competitive financial package.
• Control your own schedule.
• Personal time off.
• Interactive events and activities for all engaged in the project.
What you will do:
• A highly experienced engineer with a curiosity for operations, or an operations engineer that wants to work closely with software engineers to help glue infrastructure and software together.
• Ownership and delivery of strategic infrastructure projects with a heavy collaboration with infrastructure counterparts in Australia and the United States.
• Apply database engineering while leveraging infrastructure automation tools to build, maintain, monitor and operate a complex, performant and scalable infrastructure.
• Work in multiple programming languages using the best tool for the job. We primarily work with Python, PHP, Go and Ruby.
• Use your deep understanding of web and cloud technologies to lead complex projects from specification through to implementation.
• Handle, communicate and direct resources under high pressure situations.
• Communicate successes or topics of interest both within the team and across the wider engineering organization via blogging, presentations and brown-bags.
• Lead by example and mentor your peers.
• Participate in on-call rotation.
We are looking for a seasoned engineer (individual contributor) to join our Infrastructure team in Kyiv and focus primarily on supporting and evolving our MySQL database infrastructure. The team is made up of talented and enthusiastic individuals who have an exceptional amount of experience in the administrating, managing and scaling of large SaaS Platforms. The team works closely with the rest of our Engineering Organization to ensure that the platform powering BigCommerce remains reliable, performant and secure, 24×7. The right candidate is expected to bring solid systems administration skills that are backed up by an innate understanding of database engineering, with a mindset skewed towards performance analysis, scalability and high availability.
Day to day you’ll find us with our nose in the terminal, using Terraform and Puppet to manage our Debian hosts in a heterogeneous environment of Docker containers and VMs. We rely heavily on Logstash and Prometheus/Grafana to provide the data we need to direct our focus and attention to diagnosing and resolving performance issues across a variety of software built in PHP, Ruby, Scala (JVM) and on occasion, Go.